People invest a lot of time, energy, and money into decorating their homes, but they don’t usually spend much time thinking about decorating their work cubicles. Decorating your work environment only makes sense. You spend most of your day there, and having a personalized environment can boost your mood and increase your productivity.
Before you start personalizing your workspace, it’s important to check your company’s guidelines to find out what is allowed and what isn’t. Once you know the lowdown on the rules, it’s time to get started with your game plan to convert your office cubicle into your personal workspace oasis.
- Add a Dash of Greenery – Nothing says fresh and lively like a little bit of greenery in the corner of your desk. While adding plant can give your personal area a pop of personality, if you’re not good at remembering to water them, a Chia pet will work just fine. Remember to respect your coworkers. If they are allergic to plants, it’s best to stick with silk.
- Jazz Up The Walls – If you’re going to have to stare at the walls you might as well make them interesting. Put up some colorful wallpaper, fabric, or wrapping paper with Velcro, or double-sided tape. Changing your wallcoverings with each season or for the holidays will help keep your mood elevated.
- Show Off Your Accomplishments – Make copies of any awards or certifications you’ve received and hang them. It will help keep you motivated and remind others of your credentials.
- Frame Your Family and Friends – Frame and hang tasteful pictures of your family and friends. Be careful not to hang too many though. Remember this is your workplace, not your dorm room.
- Brighten Things Up – Add a small desk lamp to brighten things up around your desk. If you don’t want to use a brighter bulb, a decorative lava lamp will definitely liven the mood.
- Give Your Seat a Boost – Adding a brightly colored seat cushion or reupholstering your chair could give you the lift you need. Sometimes the smallest changes can make all the difference.
- Accessorize with Personality -A few cool gadgets and accessories like electronic goldfish aquariums, colourful mousepads, and interesting sculptures are sure to boost your spirits.
- Freshen Things Up – A small bowl of potpourri can add a delightful scent to your personal space, as well as a dash of vibrant color.
It’s important to have a workspace or cubicle that you can enjoy and look forward to going to each day. Just remember in your decorating adventures that it’s important that you are careful not to overdo it. Showing off your unique personality is good, but going hog-wild and creating an obtrusive environment that imposes on your coworkers is not.